When you hear the words “protein powder,” the first thing that comes to mind is muscle growth. However, protein powders are more than just supplements for muscle mass.
In fact, protein powders do more than just improve your protein intake or act as a simple protein supplement.
The best protein powders can also help you lose weight on top of helping you gain muscle mass. Some protein powders even boost energy, performance, and help you focus.
List of the best protein powders for weight loss
Here is my list of recommended protein powder for weight loss that you can buy in the UK.
- The Protein Works Diet Whey Complex
- The Protein Works Diet Whey Protein Isolate 90
- The Protein Works Clear Diet Whey
- MyProtein Impact Diet Whey
- PE Nutrition Performance Lean Vanilla
- Optimum Nutrition Lean Whey Sugar Free Strawberries & Cream
- PULSIN Vanilla Keto Protein
However, just like every other type of supplement out there, there are many protein powders that are low quality or brands that are just out to make a quick buck.
If you’re looking for the best protein powder for weight loss, you’ve come to the right place! I’ll be listing down protein powders I see as the best protein powders for weight loss you can buy at any supplement store today.
The 7 Best Protein Powders for Weight Loss
Find out more about each recommended protein powder, their benefits, pros and cons, and where to buy them.
1. The Protein Works Diet Whey Complex
The Protein Works has always been a quality company when it comes to supplements, and their take on a diet whey supplement is amazing as always.
With only 2.8 g sugar and 1.7 g fat per serving, The Protein Works Diet Whey Protein Complex is low fat and suitable for those avoiding unnecessary sugar in their protein powder.
They describe it as a scientifically driven formula consisting of a special blend of premium grade ingredients. In fact, they even claim the supplement as the Usain Bolt of diet whey protein powders.
It comes in Macchiato, Choc Mint Brownies, Banana Smooth, Vanilla Creme, and Strawberries ‘n’ Cream flavours.
- Protein powder blend is made of whey protein concentrate and soy protein for the right blend of amino acids.
- Use of flaxseed for extra protein while also boasting of health benefits thanks to its fibre content
- Digestive enzymes to help the body metabolize the protein powder and enable the body to use it faster
- Quality ingredients
- Curcumin as natural colouring
- High fibre
- Green tea extract for extra fat burning and weight loss
- Relatively cheap
- Undisclosed dosages per serving
- Only one fat burner
2. The Protein Works Diet Whey Protein Isolate 90
Whey isolate is known as the most concentrated and highly bioavailable form of whey.
This form of whey isolate found in The Protein Works Diet Whey Protein Isolate 90 contains 23 grams of protein per 25 gram serving, boasting of a complete amino acid profile with 3 grams of leucine in every scoop.
Leucine is one of the most important amino acids when talking about muscle protein synthesis. That is science talk for “gains,” bro.
Because of the purity in Whey Protein Isolate 90, it means you only get 1 gram of carbs per serving, making this whey protein powder ideal for low-carb diets. And of course, it’s also really low-calorie, with only 92 calories per serving.
Low-carb, low-calorie, high protein, Whey Protein Isolate 90 is up there with some of the best protein powder for weight loss brands.
- Low-calorie and low-carb
- Ideal for those who are following a low-carb diet
- Complete amino acids profile
- High-protein intake per serving
- Whey isolate is the best protein powder form
- High-protein per serving
- Best protein powder for those who are trying to lose weight
- Purity of whey protein isolate makes it expensive
- Whey protein isolate is made of milk, which is an allergen
3. The Protein Works Clear Diet Whey
The Protein Works want to cast a wide net with their whey protein powder products for weight loss, and their Clear Diet Whey is yet another example.
What separates Clear Diet Whey from their other protein powder products is how light it is. It’s described as a juice-based protein powder drink that is refreshing, thirst quenching, and it doesn’t feel like your typical protein shake because it doesn’t have that milky texture.
It literally feels like you’re just drinking juice, but it’s high in protein, zero sugar, zero fat, gluten-free, loaded with B-vitamins, and is less than 70 calories per serving.
The best part? It comes in four refreshing cocktail flavours:
- Cranberry & Peach Woo Woo
- Pina Colada Classic
- Strawberry Mojito
- Tropical Fruit Punch
- Easy and light compared to standard whey protein powder supplements
- Ideal for those who want something light on the gut
- Decent protein content
- Less than 70 calories per serving helps to lose weight
- Zero sugar, zero fat
- High in protein
- Gluten free
- B vitamins
- Rich in BCAAs
- A bit too light for those looking for typical whey protein powder brands
- Niche type of whey protein powder supplement
- Won’t make it to most best protein powder lists
4. MyProtein Impact Diet Whey
The folks at MyProtein know what they’re doing when it comes to making the best protein powder brands, and Impact Diet Whey Protein powder shows it.
Impact Diet Whey Protein boasts of a whopping 39 grams of protein per serving. Not only that, it also contains ingredients that can help you with your weight loss efforts and muscle gain.
It has Glutamine for lean muscle and more protein synthesis, CLA for boosting your body’s lean muscle ratio, and Green Tea to help maintain a healthy body weight.
The issue I find is how big the serving size is. At a whopping 60 grams, you’re bound to feel the weight of this protein shake on your gut. Then, we also have to mention the price, as it makes Impact Diet Whey Protein powder one of the most premium brands on this list.
- Vegetarian protein brand
- Uses digestive enzymes for easier metabolism and proper digestion
- Highest protein per serving in this list
- High fibre content
- High-protein content
- High fibre
- Contains glutamine, CLA, and green tea
- Only about 2 grams sugar per serving
- A really expensive product
- Green tea is not in standardized form for potency
- Choline bitartrate is weakly dosed
- Can be too thick and cause digestion problems
5. PE Nutrition Performance Lean Protein
Admittedly, PE Nutrition isn’t a big brand. However, you can’t discount the fact that they do have some high-quality products, and PE Nutrition Performance Lean is one of them.
It contains a high-quality protein blend that mixes CLA & Green Tea. It’s also high in fibre, vegetarian, and 100% uses organic whey protein.
The protein blend uses four different types of organic whey powder: whey isolate, whey concentrate, soy protein isolate, and milk isolate.
On top of their special protein mix, the protein shake also adds prebiotics for gut health, green tea extract for that extra antioxidant fat burning, and CLA that triggers muscle growth.
The only downside to PE Nutrition Performance Lean is its protein content per serving, which is a really low 12 grams. It falls just under 98 calories per serving, but we think they could have added a few more grams to the overall protein content.
It won’t be making many best protein powder lists, but it’s still one of the best protein powder brands if you’re looking for value for buck.
- Organic whey powder sources
- Contains prebiotics for that added gut health support
- Decent fibre source
- Good value for the formula
- Organic whey sources
- Includes soy protein
- Green tea and CLA for healthy weight gain
- Prebiotics for gut health and digestion support
- Low protein content
- Not really premium in terms of formulation
6. Optimum Nutrition Lean Whey Sugar Free Strawberries & Cream
Optimum Nutrition is one of the biggest supplement companies in the world, with their signature ON Whey as their flagship product.
Naturally, this company wants to cater to a group of people who want to buy ON protein products, but also want to reduce fat. This is where ON Lean Whey Sugar Free comes in.
As the name implies, the product is sugar-free whey, allowing it to have 17 grams of protein for as little as 85 calories per serving and 1 gram of carbs.
It’s definitely a lean whey product, but I do have some reservations when it comes to its protein source. The formula lists whey concentrate, which is the cheapest source of whey in the market.
I also don’t like how the label doesn’t specifically list the dosages per ingredient, which is disappointing coming from a huge international brand such as Optimum Nutrition.
- Low-calorie, sugar-free, and low-carb whey powder
- Optimum Nutrition is considered a top-tier brand known for quality and purity of formulas
- Decent protein content for the amount of calories per serving
- Contains green tea for that extra antioxidant fat burning benefit
- High-quality brand
- Ideal for those looking for sugar-free options
- Good value for money
- I can’t see the doses per ingredient
- Whey concentrate isn’t as good as whey isolate
- Only available in one size (15 servings) on their website
7. PULSIN Vanilla Keto Protein
PULSIN’s Vanilla Keto Protein seeks to specifically cater to the ever-growing keto or low-carb diet market.
Because they want to sell to those who are on a low-carb diet, their protein powder is naturally low in carbohydrates, but exceptionally high in fat.
This is due to its medium-chain triglyceride content, or MCT. MCT is one of the most popular energy sources for those on a keto diet, and it’s a concentrated form of fat.
That goes against most protein brands we’ve featured on this list, where the trend is usually to go low-carb and low-fat.
This is normal, however, as low-carb diets substitute fat for energy. At really low carb levels, the body achieves ketosis, a process where the body prefers to burn stored fat due to lack of glucose.
This is the entire basis of the ketogenic diet and why so many are getting amazing weight loss results with it.
As great as Keto Protein is when it comes to catering to the keto market, I put it last on this list due to its low protein per serving.
The 9.2 gram protein content is a bit justifiable, however, as the body has ways to convert protein into carbs if you have a surplus of it.
In a keto diet, you want to make sure your carbs are low enough to trigger ketosis, and you don’t want to risk having extra carbs because you took too much protein.
- Ideal for those on a ketogenic diet or low-carb diet
- High fat for that extra ketone energy, care of MCT powder
- Suitable for vegans
- Uses plant proteins like pea protein powder and faba bean protein powder
- Vegan, uses pea protein powder and faba bean protein powder as protein sources
- Dairy-free, gluten-free
- Good fat source in MCT
- Ideal for those in a low-carb diet
- Bulk orders can save you money
- Fairly expensive
- Low protein per serving
- Plant proteins aren’t ideal sources of protein
- The company is relatively new and isn’t as popular as others on this list
What is a Protein Powder?
A protein powder is simply a supplement that lets you capitalize on your body’s anabolic processes during and after training. When you take protein powders, it means you want to gain serious muscle mass.
Benefits of taking a protein powder to lose weight
Protein is actually a really filling macronutrient.
When you eat high-protein foods like meat or eggs, you find that it fills you up really fast.
And unlike carbs, protein can actually take some time to be fully digested by our stomach, making it have a sort of appetite suppressant function as it keeps us full for a longer period.
This is why taking protein powder to lose weight can be effective regardless of your diet type.
What to look for in a weight loss protein powder
Here are some of the notable pieces of information you have to watch out for when buying a protein powder specifically to help with weight loss.
The general protein sources are all whey-based. These are your whey concentrate, isolate, and the super expensive hydrolysate, which is a sort of “pre-digested” whey form that’s absorbed really fast. These are often considered standard as they offer the complete amino acid content you want in any protein powder brand.
For the vegans or vegetarians, you have your plant-based proteins like pea protein, hemp protein, and brown rice protein.
Generally speaking, plant based protein products aren’t known to have complete amino acid profiles, hence why they are often blended together with other plant based proteins.
Calories, sugars, and sweeteners
When you’re looking to buy a weight loss protein brand, you really want to keep an eye out for the calories and sugars used.
Calories speak for themselves: You want the least amount of calories per serving that also gives you the highest quality and amount of protein.
It’s why so many weight loss protein brands barely go over 100 calories per serving, with many advertising as little as 70 calories!
Sugars are also a no-no for most of these types of products, with a few exceptions. We have the likes of Stevia and other zero-calorie sugars that are common among diet whey products.
Additives and Allergens
Protein powder brands are frequently manufactured using dairy products like milk. Some also include plant-based proteins that use nuts and soy protein.
Always check if the product you’re buying has some allergen declarations.
Performance boosters or Stimulants
The best whey protein brands typically don’t use stimulants, as companies understand most users have another supplement for energy purposes.
That is why you will barely see the likes of caffeine or synephrine in protein supplements.
The nutrition information label is important when eyeing the actual nutrient content per serving.
These are your vitamins, amino acids, and other nutrient declarations that users need to know before buying a protein powder of their choosing.
Most protein powder brands carry a few vitamins here and there, but what you want to watch out for is the amino acids content.
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein, and you want to look for the “critical” amino acids like leucine that actually helps build muscle.
Weight Loss Protein Powder FAQs
Below are some of the internet’s most asked questions regarding protein powder brands for weight loss.
Which protein powder is best for weight loss UK?
The best protein powder for your weight loss needs will be a brand that gives you high-protein content with as few calories as possible.
In my list, I think the best one for this job is The Protein Works Diet Whey Protein Isolate 90 as it balances calories and protein content (and quality) really well.
What protein powders are good for weight loss?
The best protein powders for your weight loss needs are ones that carefully blend the right ratio of proteins while at the same time keeping the calorie and sugar content low, as well as incorporating fat burners.
All the products I listed bear these qualities, though to different degrees.
Should I drink protein powder if I’m trying to lose weight?
The best way to lose weight is to reduce calorie intake. Taking protein powder can help as it can be satiating, but if you’re not in control of your caloric intake, a protein powder brand might actually increase your weight.
Which protein is best for weight loss for females?
Women have different needs, but I think the products I listed here are unisex. However, if I were to choose one for a woman with sensitive needs, I’ll have to go with Clear Diet Whey.
Clear Diet Whey is easy on the gut and was actually formulated with women in mind, based on what I’ve seen on their website.