In this Alpha Brain review, I will be looking at the ingredients and claims made by the manufacturer, to see if this nootropic supplement is best for your needs.
Being an alpha male can mean a lot of things. It can mean raw strength, an undeniable presence in any room, or simply an air of charisma and confidence that commands respect and attention.
Regardless, being an alpha is more than just lifting heavy or looking good, and more to do with how a man carries himself around others. For this, you need to have the alpha levels of intelligence, and that’s what Alpha Brain seems to be about.
Alpha Brain describes itself as a nootropic supplement that provides cognitive, memory, mental speed, and focus benefits. It’s made by Onnit, one of the biggest names in fitness and known mainly for their gym equipment.
The company that produces Alpha Brain is reputable, and the company isn’t known to sell low quality fitness equipment and apparel, but is Alpha Brain just as good as their other products?
Read my Alpha Brain Review to find out.
What is Alpha Brain?
Alpha Brain describes itself as a nootropic, capable of helping you focus on a particular task with the dedication of an undergrad writing an essay a few hours before the deadline. They claim to have a formula designed to let you be in that “in the zone” state, or an optimal level of cognition that lets your brain perform at its peak.
Based on the actual formula, I think it’s less about focus and more about keeping you calm and anxiety-free under pressure, which greatly boosts focus indirectly.
Is Alpha Brain safe to take?
Alpha Brain contains premium ingredients. Being premium means it keeps the side effects to the bare, likely harmless minimum. However, they do say that Alpha GPC, one of its key ingredients for focus, has been known to cause headaches, fatigue, nausea, diarrhoea, as well as low blood pressure for some people.
Disclaimer: Always check with your doctor before trying this out. If you feel something that doesn’t feel right, stop taking immediately and seek professional help.
Alpha Brain at a glance
- Premium ingredients
- Synergistic formulation
- Available in 30 and 45-day serving sizes
- A bit pricey for the contents
- Not enough dosages for max potency
Alpha Brain Ingredients
One look at Alpha Brain’s formula tells me that the company is serious when it comes to its nootropic formulation. The ingredients are all either branded or in standardized form. This is always a good thing, but we also have to make sure they match this with the proper dosage.
Let’s check out what’s inside Alpha Brain.
Vitamin B6 as Pyridoxine HCl
B6 is an essential vitamin known to boost mood and optimize several brain chemicals. It also helps the body form myelin sheaths, a fatty tissue that protects our nerve cells.
Onnit Flow Blend
- L-Tyrosine: Studies surrounding tyrosine are more about having a deficiency than the benefits of supplementation. What I mean is, there is more evidence to suggest tyrosine deficiency is related to high levels of stress and lower levels of focus and attention. In this context, tyrosine works best if you’re low on it or if you show signs of being low on tyrosine (such as being restless or having trouble sleeping). Those with normal tyrosine levels may not find any real benefit to it, but it’s nice to have nonetheless. 
- L-Theanine: Theanine’s role in many gym supplements is to act as a sort of buffer to stimulants like caffeine. Basically, theanine can reduce the side effects associated with caffeine intake like headaches, jitters, and the crash. As a nootropic, theanine promotes relaxation and just an overall “feel good” mood.
Oat Straw Extract: Oat straw extract works similarly with theanine in that it promotes a wakeful relaxation or relaxed alertness. Some studies also say it can boost creativity, but this is subjective and based on a person’s own level of creativity. 
…oat herb extract might be effective in healthy subjects, resulting in a positive impact on cognitive performance.”
- Phosphatidylserine: Phosphatidylserine is known as a nootropic that can slow down the effects of ageing on our brain. It can help with brain fog and promote brain cell regeneration.
Onnit Focus Blend
- Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine: Commonly referred to as Alpha GPC, this is a type of premium choline form that can boost acetylcholine production, which can contribute to overall brain health and efficient brain function. 
Bacopa Monnieri extract: Bacopa monnieri can boost blood circulation in the brain, which can improve cognitive function. More importantly, it also allows the brain to produce more “chemicals” that can support memory and learning. 
[This study] clearly demonstrated that B. monnieri suppresses acetylcholinesterase activity, resulting in enhanced cholinergic function, which in turn enhances attention and memory processing and gives rise to the increased working memory.”
- Toothed Clubmoss extract std. to 1% Huperzine A: Huperzine A indirectly blocks enzymes that reduce acetylcholine content in the brain. More acetylcholine means better cognitive performance.
Onnit Fuel Blend
- Leucine: Leucine is more of a muscle mass ingredient, and I’m not sure about the angle Onnit took when they included it in their formula. According to their website, they insist leucine helps synthesize protein, which is what everyone already knows. So again, I’m not really sure leucine should be here, but it’s here, so we’ll take it.
- Pterostilbene: This is an antioxidant mostly found in blueberries. What it does is it supports brain plasticity, or the brain’s ability to create new neural connections. It’s a fantastic brain health ingredient, but it requires long-term intake to see any viable results in cognition. 
Alpha Brain supplement facts
From the label on a single bottle of Alpha Brain the following supplement facts can be seen as follows:
|Serving Size: 2 capsules Servings Per Container: 45|
|Amount Per Serving||% DV|
|Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine HCI)||10 mg||588%|
|Onnit Flow Blend
– L-Tyrosine, L-Theanine, Oat (straw) Extract, Phosphatidylserine
|Cat’s Claw (Uncaria tomentosa) (bark) Extract||350 mcg||*|
|Onnit Focus Blend
– L-Alpha Glycerylphosphorylcholine (Alpha GPC), Bacopa (Bacopa monniero) (aerial parts) Extract (100 mg), Toothed Clubmoss (Huperzia serrata) (whole) Extract [Standardized to 1% Huperzine A, 400 mcg]
|Onnit Fuel Blend
– L-Leucine, Pterostilbene
|* Daile Value (DV) not established|
Other Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Vegetarian Capsule (Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Water), Rice Hull Concentrate (Nu-Flow).
How to take Alpha Brain
This is what they recommend based on their website:
Adults, as a dietary supplement, take two daily, preferably with a light meal. Consult a medical doctor before taking this or any other nutritional supplement if you are pregnant, nursing, have or suspect a medical condition, or are taking any medications. Store in a cool, dry place. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
Where to buy Alpha Brain
You can only buy Alpha Brain direct from the manufacturer’s website with the following options available:
Options and Prices
- 45-Day Supply: £65.99 for a one-time purchase/£56.09 if you subscribe
- 15-Day Supply: £28.84 for a one-time purchase/£24.52 if you subscribe
My Verdict on Alpha Brain
Alpha Brain makes use of some of the more premium ingredients in the industry, which is practically the standard now if you want your product to be taken seriously. The synergistic effect is there, the goal of boosting acetylcholine levels is definitely evident, and for the most part I see Alpha Brain as a good starting nootropic.
What I can’t help but nit-pick are the dosages for each ingredient, especially its Focus Blend. The Focus Blend seems to be its “main” blend, but the overall dose of the blend is too small. This makes Alpha Brain more about anti-stress than it is about cognitive benefits.
Regardless of the dosing, Alpha Brain is definitely a good nootropic supplement. It’s not the best out there, but it’s not so bad that I would not recommend its use for brain health and cognitive benefits.
Alpha Brain FAQs
How quickly does Alpha Brain work?
The manufacturer doesn’t explicitly mention how fast their product works, but most nootropics often work within the same hour of ingestion. However, like with most supplements, the benefits start becoming more noticeable after a period of at least 30 days.
Who should not take Alpha Brain?
Again, Onnit don’t recommend this product to pregnant or nursing women, and people with major health problems.
From a marketing standpoint, I think those who want a strong focus boost after a serving shouldn’t take Alpha Brain. The formula is designed to help curb stress, not so much to enhance focus and attention.
- Young SN. L-tyrosine to alleviate the effects of stress?. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2007;32(3):224. [Last visited 15/06/2021]
- Dimpfel W, Storni C, Verbruggen M. Ingested oat herb extract (Avena sativa) changes EEG spectral frequencies in healthy subjects. J Altern Complement Med. 2011 May;17(5):427-34. doi: 10.1089/acm.2010.0143. Epub 2011 May 12. PMID: 21563962. [Last visited 15/06/2021]
- Bellar D, LeBlanc NR, Campbell B. The effect of 6 days of alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine on isometric strength. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015;12:42. Published 2015 Nov 17. doi:10.1186/s12970-015-0103-x [Last visited 15/06/2021]
- Peth-Nui T, Wattanathorn J, Muchimapura S, et al. Effects of 12-Week Bacopa monnieri Consumption on Attention, Cognitive Processing, Working Memory, and Functions of Both Cholinergic and Monoaminergic Systems in Healthy Elderly Volunteers. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:606424. doi:10.1155/2012/606424 [Last visited 15/06/2021]
- McCormack D, McFadden D. A review of pterostilbene antioxidant activity and disease modification. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2013;2013:575482. doi:10.1155/2013/575482 [Last visited 15/06/2021]